A silhouette is an outline of a person or an object, usually dark or having little detail, against a brighter, more well-lit background. For this week's Phone Snap Challenge, we've asked you to capture your own silhouette photo with your cell phone for a chance to win a SuperHeadz Ultra Wide and Slim 35mm Camera.
Before you go off to shoot, here are a few tips for taking a great silhouette shot with your cell phone.
Step 1 Choose Your Subject
When photographing silhouettes, the shape is the most important feature of the subject. You'll want to choose a subject that has a clear shape and can be recognizable without its color or texture.
Step 2 Evaluate and Set Up the Proper Lighting
When taking photographs, most subjects are lit from the front. When photographing silhouettes, the opposite must be done. The light source should come from behind the subject. You will always want the background to be brighter than your subject.
Step 3 Frame Your Shot
Frame your image and be aware to include the brightest light source of the image into the background. Either hide the light with your subject directly in front of it, or just make sure that the light source is somewhere in the background.
Here's an example of two photos I took of the same subject; one in which the subject was lit from the front (left image), and the other lit from behind (right image).
- Be sure that the shape of your silhouette is defined. Don't clutter your subjects, as combining and putting too many subjects next to one another will merge them into a possibly unrecognizable shape.
- Make sure the flash is not turned on or in auto mode. Since no light should come from the front of the subject, the flash will ruin your silhouette image.
- If your camera phone has an exposure setting option, play around with it. Generally, setting your exposure to a lower level will help you get the silhouette that you desire.
Now that you know the basics of silhouette photography, get out there and start shooting and experimenting! Don't forget to submit your best silhouette shot to the Phone Snap! corkboard by Monday, January 9th, 11:59pm PST for your chance to win this week's Silhouette Challenge.
Silhouette Photo by Michael Sissons (Hipstamatic)
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades